Below you can find a range of online resources which you can use to access information and support immediately to help yourself, or while you wait for further support.
COVID-19 self-help resources
Below you can find some resources to support you emotionally as a result of COVID-19. Don’t forget that we are here to help and support you, and continue to offer wellbeing support throughout this period.
- Student Space – access information, tools and dedicated support to help you through the challenges of coronavirus
- Information and support on coronavirus and your wellbeing from Mind
- Advice on looking after your mental health and wellbeing if you are staying home from the Mental Health Foundation
- A Student Survival Guide to Self-Isolation (True Student)
- A self-help guide for coronavirus anxiety (Dr Jenn Cooper, Glasgow Caledonian University)
Resources to support you with the different challenges that university can bring, including transitioning to university
Information, advice and details of where to get support if you’re feeling stressed, anxious or depressed, or just want to feel happier
Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) self help resources, including information sheets, worksheets and mp3s
A range of content designed to give you more information about mental health and to help you to look after your mental health
Apps and podcasts
- SAMapp – developed in collaboration with a research team from UWE Bristol, the app helps you understand and manage anxiety.
- Headspace – learn meditation and mindfulness in just ten minutes a day to help you stress less, focus more and even sleep better.
- Happify – science-based activities and games to help you overcome negative thoughts, stress, and life’s challenges.
- Superbetter – short, easy games designed to build happiness boosting skills like resilience and improve mental health.
- What’s Up – provides coping strategies to manage your worries. Use the app as a quick check-in tool to get perspective on your thoughts.
- Calm – leading sleep and meditation app to help you relax, focus and sleep better, with over 25 soothing sounds.
- Buddhify – Mindfulness app with over 80 guided meditations, including 6 specifically targeted for sleep.
- Sleep Cycle – analyses your sleep and wakes you up in your lightest sleep phase.
You can also find a list of free and paid NHS approved apps and online tools to help you manage and improve your mental wellbeing here.
Self-help resources A-Z
Anxiety and panic attacks
Bereavement and loss
- Cruse Bereavement Care – a national charity supporting people who are bereaved
- What’s your grief – resources and discussion about grief
- NHS – Grief after bereavement or loss
- Support after suicide – information and support for anyone who has been bereaved or affected by suicide
- Help Is At Hand – an NHS resource for people bereaved by suicide and other traumatic, sudden death
Depression and low mood
- NHS – Low mood, sadness and depression
- Talkworks – a free, confidential NHS talking therapy service for people aged 18+ in Devon offering support to help you feel better and improve your mental and physical wellbeing
- Students Against Depression – information and resources validated by health professionals, alongside tips and advice from students who have experienced it all themselves
- Mind – information about depression and available support
- Getselfhelp.co.uk – information and self-help resources on depression
- Torbay Domestic Abuse Support Service – TDAS provides practical, non-judgemental support, advice and protection for all victims of domestic abuse
- Beat offers helpline services and online support groups for those who may be suffering from an eating disorder or are experiencing symptoms
- NHS – Eating disorders
- Mind offer information on eating problems and available support
- MaleVoicED – a charity which recognises and provides support for males who experience eating disorders, disordered eating and associated co-morbid conditions
- Mindfulness for students – courses and simple mindfulness exercises to download
- NHS – Mindfulness
- Getselfhelp.co.uk offers information, advice and resources on practicing mindfulness and becoming more mindful
- Mind have put together a short guide on making sense of Mindfulness
Motivation and Procrastination
- Mind Tools – advice on how to stop procrastinating
Relaxation and stress management
- NHS – relaxation techniques – audio files of relaxation techniques to help relieve stress
- Getselfhelp.co.uk – information and resources about stress and how to make positive changes
- NHS – understanding stress
- Mind have put together a short guide on managing stress
- A short guide from Mind on how to cope when supporting someone else
- Combat Stress – supporting veteran’s mental health
- NHS – Sleep and tiredness
- National Sleep Foundation – advice on sleep solutions, such as setting up a good bedroom environment to promote sleep
- The Sleep Council – helpful tips and advice about how to get a good night’s sleep
- Getselfhelp.co.uk provides information on promoting good sleep
- Mind offer advice on how to cope with sleep problems
- Samaritans – advice and guidance for anyone who is experiencing suicidal feelings
- NHS – help for suicidal thoughts
- Students Against Depression – advice, information and guidance to students affected by low mood, depression and suicidal thinking
- Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM) – an organisation dedicated to preventing male suicide
- Papyrus – a confidential support and advice service for children and young people under the age of 35 who are experiencing thoughts of suicide, or anyone concerned that a young person could be thinking about suicide
- Mind offer advice on what suicidal feelings are and what you can do if you feel suicidal
- Andy’s Man Club – peer-to-peer support groups for men to come together in a safe environment to talk about issues and problems they have faced or are currently facing
- Women’s Wellbeing Club – a peer to peer community support group run for women by volunteers. Go along for a cup of tea and company, or whether you need to talk to likeminded women in a safe environment