Council Tax

Council Tax Discounts and Exemptions

As a full-time student (Including apprentices), your household may be eligible for a discount on your council tax bill or exemption from council tax. Part-time students do not qualify. 

If you are the only person in the household, or all the other residents are fulltime students, the household will be exempt from council tax. 

If you are a full-time student living with other residents over the age of 18 who are not students or are studying part time, you will qualify for a 25% reduction.  

To qualify for exemption as a student, the legislation requires that individuals must be undertaking a full-time course of education. This is defined (in brief) as: 

  • A course which lasts for at least one academic or calendar year, on which students are normally required to attend for periods of at least 24 weeks in each academic or calendar year. 
  • A course that also requires a period of study, tuition or work experience amounting to an average of at least 21 hours a week in each academic or calendar year. 

If you are unsure of your attendance status, please contact your faculty in the first instance. If you have any specific council tax queries, you will need to contact your local council tax office. 

If you suspend your studies or withdraw from your course, you will not be exempt from paying council tax. It is your responsibility to inform the local council tax office of a change to your student status. Failure to do so may result in the council  

All students will need to download the “Council Tax Certificate” and type in your details. Once complete, the student will need to print the certificate and bring it to the HE Faculty Office on the first floor of the University Centre to be stamped. The student is responsible for sending this to their council to be processed. 

If you are a Torbay or South Hams resident, you will also need to complete notify the council that you are a student on their website using the links below:


South Hams

For further information and guidance relating to your local council/government policies, please find links below:

Torbay Council

South Hams Council