This foundation degree is ideal for those who are interested in developing theoretical knowledge and practical skills in psychology and Sociology. Some modules will be tutor lead and will involve taking notes and writing assignments. Other modules will involve the practical application of skills. Research projects will also be a feature on each year of the programme.
In psychology you will gain an understanding of:
- mental illness and psychological treatments
- social influence in conflict situations
- personality testing and how the personality predicts behaviour
- psychological factors that influence and reduce offending behaviour
- the development of gender and memory across the lifespan
- the factors associated with positive psychology e.g. life satisfaction
In sociology you will develop an understanding of:
- Sociological perspectives
- The impact of the media upon the individual and society
- Social causes and consequences of human behaviour
- Crime and deviance with a focus on why people turn to crime.
- The interplay between society and the individual
- Poverty and social exclusion
- How the education system and family structure have evolved
All students will be required to undertake a work placement in year 2.
We have provided the opportunity for our Sociology students to choose some of our Criminology modules as options which are highlighted in the module information below.
The full-time and part-time courses have one start point in September.
The full time fees for the academic year 2022-23 are:
BA and BSc (Hons) – £8400 (per year)
Foundation Degree (FdA and FdSc) – £8400 (per year)
Higher National Certificate (HNC)- £8400 (per year)
For tuition fees for part-time courses commencing in September 2022, please contact the team on [email protected]
(Please note, some fees may differ depending on programme)
The classes are much smaller than other universities, so you receive so much more support which really impacts your learning. Because of that support, I didn’t have a fear of starting a new course, which could have been daunting.